I have an extra large dining table and find it almost impossible to find extra large tablecloths to fit it! The ones that I do find are so expensive I just cant justify buying them. So I decided to make my own out of tea towels/dish cloths. Here's what I did:
- I purchased a pack of 12 tea towels in mixed reds = $9.97 from a local discount chain store. Its best to get stripe or check ones as you can cheat and follow the straight lines when sewing together.
- Lay down the towels on the floor in the finished pattern you would like for your tablecloth (mine was 3 towels across and 4 down).
- Pin towels right side together along one side as shown in pic # 2 . Cut off the excess bulky seams with pinking shears (otherwise the tablecloth won't sit flat).
- Sew the sides together. Repeat this process. I joined 3 together along one side (see pic #3) then I repeated this to make 4 separate pieces of 3.
- Join (sew) all pieces together to make one whole piece (your finished tablecloth) making sure you line all the squares together at joins. Think like your quilting.
- Press with a hot iron.
All this and my tablecloth cost under $10. So happy with the end result. Hope your weekend is filled with super duper joy! Simone xx