Friday, October 1, 2010

Project Day: Beach Kaftan Dress














This is my favourite time of year. It's October in Australia! The days are warmer and I spend alot of time in my bathers. This means my wardrobe changes to mostly kaftans and slip dresses. This week I made one from a vintage seersucker tablecloth and some old doileys. Here's what you will need:
  • A rectangle tablecloth works best. Mine measured approx 60 inches x 40 inches.
  • 2 rectangular doileys, at least 20 inches each in length.
  • Pinking shears.
  • Sewing machine.
  1. Fold the tablecloth so each end comes to the middle BUT leave a gap of about 3 inches [pic # 2]
  2. Cut your doiley in half.
  3. Lay your cut doiley pieces down the center opening. This will become the front of your kaftan. Pin in place [ pics # 5 ].
  4. Sew the doileys onto the tablecloth [ pic # 7] and make sure you sew the doiley join too! [ pic #8]. Sew the ends up of each doiley once you get to the bottom [ pic #6 ]. It looks a lot tidier!
  5. You should now have a piece that looks like pic # 9. This is the top and bottom of your kaftan. The crochet feature runs down the center of your torso.
  6. Now we need to make some shoulders and armholes.
  7. First lets make shoulders. Whichever is the top of your dress measure in about 8 or 9 inches and pin. Repeat for other side. Sew each end in to that point. There now should be an opening for your head to slip through.
  8. Now for armholes. You will notice at this stage there are no armholes. So we need to measure down the dress approx 20 inches and make a pin.
  9. Get your pinking shears and cut down to that mark on each side of the dress. No seams required!
  10. You now should have 2 armholes and a head opening.
  11. Turn the whole thing inside out. Tidy up any edging with a few stitches here and there.
  12. Slip it on and RELAX!
I guess this is what I will be wearing most weekend. Take care, see you next week. Simone xx

45 comments:

  1. I was wondering what you were going to do for sleeves. Brilliantly simple! The crochet trim looks gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you are TOO talented! That is so unbelievably gorgeous!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. And these will available for purchase when? So CUTE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look lovely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    melissa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - That just screams summer!! I am so envious of anyone who can sew .... and you are one very creative lady! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG THAT DRESS IS SO CLEVER AND LOOKS GREAT FOR HANGING ABOUT AND RELAXING! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For someone that could barely use a sewing machine not that long ago, you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are clever! do you sell any kaftans in your shop? i'd love to see your clothing range..

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful dress!
    I'll try to make one!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so comfortable. I am changing into warm ups for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. youre amazing.
    you amaze me more with every post.
    totallyl ove this.<3

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks stunning and cool...in two ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is fantastic, you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love it my friend...something I can so see me living in..I just need to make it's sister..the winter one...to stay cozy and warm.

    Hugs. oxxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are clever! It's absolutely lovely - perfect for the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hands of health,thanks for this idea,..

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...I must say that was very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Cutting doilies is a scary concept -- but your kaftan turned out beautifully! Cute and comfortable. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simone, this is such a brilliant idea! I love the gorgeous crocheted panel:) Looks gorgeous on you! Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Txx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clever and classy for a coverup! I need a warmer one these days . Living in the Northern hemisphere cold and shorter days are on my horison.Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Simone, you look fab and I must say you are getting very clever with your sewing projects....you should do a little one of Charlie, cheers katherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it, Simone. But I know I'd sew my thumb in the seams.... (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so lovely, Simone..., and looks so comfy!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this!! You are so clever!! Wish our Spring was warmer like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, it looks very effective!!! Have a great weekend!!! ::))

    ReplyDelete
  26. For me october is day´s getting colder... (I live in Sweden.) Envy.
    Nice kaftan. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  27. its a lovely caftan
    lilly
    coisaelilly.wordpress.com
    blogdareforma.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks lovely on you Simone. I just want to know...when do you get the time?

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gosh you are so clever - it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow - I really really love this! I'm totally making one of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. gosh! for a moment i thought you going to just sew the lace on the cloth. didnt realise the lace was will be place beautifully in that manner. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  32. you clever girl this beach dress is a lovely no fuss project love it to bits and that cushion looks very good too i love your style and am impressed by your ability:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. So pretty!! You made that look so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea! So crafty! Beautiful beach garb! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very nice work, we only miss the summer in Germany right now.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely adorable! Love the colors and the use of the lace.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I must thank you! This will be perfect !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts. We read every comment and appreciate your feedback.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin