Friday, July 1, 2011

Project Day: Floral Basket Pillow






At first I thought this was a piece of vintage fabric. That was until I unwrapped it! After picking up this up for a few dollars at an op shop I couldn't resist making my very own floral basket pillow for my outdoor chair. A tiny bit kitschy I know. But nevertheless I fell for it!
Firstly I cut out my fabric in the basket shapes.
  • With right sides together sew all the way around leaving a gap at the base to stuff filling.
  • Turn pillow right side out & push all the edges out.
  • Stuff with some pillow/cushion stuffing. I always use an old pillow that has lost it's mojo. I always keep stuffing to recycle.
  • Sew the bottom edge closed with the machine [you could insert a zip if you want].
  • I added a pink bow using some left over bias binding tape. You could use anything.
After I finished I realised you could make a template of your own and sew a similar shaped cushion using any kind of floral material. For a novice you could even patchwork a piece to represent the basket at the base.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Simone xx

35 comments:

  1. That is very sweet, have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. Have a great weekend too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beuatyful!!!

    Greatings Loes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simone,
    Op shops can deliver such wonderful surprises! Love the cushion on your chair, it looks so inviting. Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Simone! What a wonderful find, and perfect on your wicker chair! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 'over-the-top' kitschness of this cushion and it's pink bow! A lot of fun. Have a great weekend Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very clever, it looks absolutley gorgeous wish I could sew! Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute Simone.

    Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. hola! divino tu almohadón, me encantó y superla tela que viene con el molde! besos y feliz finde!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, that's so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simplismente lindissíma!!!
    Bjos Carinhosos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabric's pretty. I love flowers. And that view - OMGorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute and who would not want to simply sit and be, in a pretty cushion chair. Thank you, Elizabeth from http://thedotdotblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great on your chair. Very cute!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable!!!! Happy weekend to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. just awesome! kitsch wins hands down. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uauuu, how beautiful!
    really love it all
    kiss

    hptt: / / cafeecetim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man I wish I could sew! I can do a straight line but then after the bobbin runs out I'm always in trouble! I really enjoy your project days! LovT

    ReplyDelete
  19. DARLING! DARLING! DARLING!
    I love it!
    Have a PRETTY day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet find! Beautiful!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cushion. I hope you had a lovely weekend. Amy x
    http://www.miloandmitzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful find - you have quite the knack for finding these delightful treasures don't you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just lovely, Simone! Have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, I have to agree with you it is definitely a bit kitschy. But,nonetheless adorable and a nice addition to an outdoor seat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This brought back fond memories. As soon as I saw the picture I had a flashback to the early 80's when I had a pre-printed Hamburger cushion. After beng made, it sat proudly on the bed for many years until I became distracted by more grown up things and Duran Duran took over (but alas, never sat on my bed)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kitchy but colourful! I think it is sweet :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts. We read every comment and appreciate your feedback.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin